One of the busiest clubs in the south, the Waterlooville MCC launched their show within the walls of Horndean Technical College with two wheeled representation covering every year of their existence; from 1928 to the present. Attended and opened by 11 times British Trials Champion Sammy Miller MBE who arrived with a couple of very special machines from his museum in Hampshire. Hundreds of enthusiasts packed into the event on the 18th June 2017 to admire a magnificent display featuring everything from the latest Norton 961 to a 1911 Clyno. Classic-motorbikes.net arrived very early, beating the crowds to capture the atmosphere and bring some of the history from the WMCC.
A 1911 Zenith Gradua shown by Bill Shaw was built in North London from the Fred Barnes design using a 499cc JAP engine. The model ran from 1908 to 1920 with ‘Gradua’ denoting its successful variable-ratio drive and this particular example is totally original and unrestored.
This 1927 J model Harley Davidson has a 61.34 cu in flat head engine (1 litre) with a three speed hand change and foot clutch and minus a front brake as in period. This was the first year of 6-volt electric horn and lighting and whilst the paint finish may not be of original hue the correct nickel plate looks amazing.
The remains of this 1931 Ivory Calthorpe were purchased from a scrap yard nearly fifty years ago for a mere £5. A large pile of parts were donated to current owner Dave Cox who has restored it completely, including making a new fuel tank due to the original being rusted through.
This 1937 ES2 Norton 500 was originally purchased in Gosport and was in use until 1962; it was then dismantled for paint. The current owner purchased the Norton in boxes rebuilt as per photographs taken during the sixties. Restored superbly taking three years to complete.
BMW produced a bored out version of the 600cc R61 offering a 22bhp 750cc this R71 arrived in 1939. Although the design was aimed at the civilian market it was soon pressed into military action. Post war the R71 didn’t disappear because the Russians built their version with the Ural.
The BSA Model E was manufactured from 1919-1930 often referred to as ‘the taxi’ it came complete with BSA sidecar. This example was produced in 1923 powered by a 770cc V twin offering 6HP and a top speed of 50mph.
Another very early machine is the Clyno from 1911 with its two speed side valve 644cc and during its first year became the first combination to climb the vertical Porlock Hill in Devon. Large numbers were supplied to the British and Russian armies as gun carriers during WW1.
Bill Wallis is a dab hand at transforming Honda CB400/4 machines into something special and this Hailwood tribute was built in recognition of his 500cc TT winner. On the road until 1996, Bill took it on during 2008 and used the frame, engine and forks, the rest he manufactured himself.
Honda CD175a Sloper, one of 30,000 imported but such a rare sight on our roads today, this actual bike was registered in 1967. Offering 17bhp this Honda was a perfect all-rounder and owner Den Miles has enjoyed its company for 35 years although for most of that period it sat unused in his garage. After finding mice had taken residence in the air box a full restoration was undertaken two years ago, the result is fantastic.
This Matchless G15 CSR was exported to the US in 1965 where it competed for several years’ in off road events and desert races. Purchased and returned to the UK this matching numbers machine enjoyed a full restoration and featuring a high level exhaust, it’s ready to race again.
One of a pair rare and perfect machines displayed by Sammy Miller MBE this one the Moto Villa GP from 1969. Built by brothers Walter and Francesco Villa this four cylinder 250cc was prepared for the 1970 championship; rule changes to twin cylinders ensured the Moto Villa never won a race.
Sammy Miller’s ex works Jawa 350cc four-cylinder type 675 from 1969. A screaming two stroke that offered 80bhp at 13,200 rpm, this was the bike that enticed Bill Ivy back to racing and scored a pair of seconds behind Agostini. Italian Sylvio Grassetti also rode for Jawa taking the 1969 Yugoslavian GP.
Model 8 from Sunbeam commonly known as the ‘Gentlemen’s Motorcycle’ with its 347cc OHV would have cost £69.30 in 1928. Amazingly, this bike has enjoyed just two owners from new, the first until 1967 and the current custodian ensures his wife makes use of the ‘Tansad’ pillion seat regularly
The very rare Suzuki SB200 was a commuter version of the GT200 X5 with four speeds and 22bhp. Owner Philip Melhuish acquired the bike as a ‘poor runner’ from Solihul and set about the restoration before enjoying classic tours in France and Belgium.
Suzuki’s GT250A of 1976 was the first to come minus their ram-air system, redesigned cylinder fins were to replace the advantage. The pair of Mikuni carbs were increased in size to 28mm and gearing altered for acceleration ensuring the GT provided 32BHP and compete with Yamaha’s RD.
Exported to India in 1954 this Triumph Tiger began life with the Presidents security detail and once released from Government duties found its way to the current owner, albeit in Madras. After covering thousands of miles in the sub-continent it was reimported to the UK in 1987.
This Triumph TR6P was one of 340 utilised by the Metropolitan Police, nicknamed the ‘Saint’ (stop anything in no time) this particular bike joined the force in 1972, returning to ‘civvy street’ it has been in the same family for 22 years. Triumph also supplied the Police stateside with similar machines.
Becoming very popular the flat-tracker style suits Yamaha’s XS range. This 750cc triple with a seat conversion and Kenny Roberts paint scheme remains fairly stock with shaft drive and original brakes; from cruiser to the dirt of the small oval.