Junkyard Dog Custom Bike Build

Junkyard Dog Part 12 – Brake? I’ll Give You a Sodding Brake!

motorcycle custom front caliper mountThe front caliper mount ended up being a lot harder than I thought. It has to be made really accurately as it must be square to the disc, the pads must fully contact the disc and the caliper has to miss the buttons in the Diversion disc. It doesn’t take much for something to be out and either something hits or the brakes won’t work to their full efficiency. The bracket also has to be really strong to make sure it doesn’t move even under the heaviest of braking. That part is fairly easy.

First job was to measure it all up – that in itself wasn’t easy as getting datum points is pretty difficult. I used the bracket I made in the last article as a starting point and then started measuring from that point. I was all going quite well until I got interrupted for the 20th time, came back to it and drilled a hole in the wrong place!! Back to square 1.

Once I had the basic shape sorted I had to make a second piece to beef it all up – the two parts were then solidly welded together take make sure it would take a small thermo-nuclear device to cause it any damage. It’s a bit heavy and industrial but it is spot on dimensionally and more than enough to do the job. It will get proper;ly cleaned up and painted before final assembly.

motorcycle custom rear brake set upWith that all sorted I turned my attention back to the rear brake – the parts came in today so I had no excuse but to get on with it. First job was to choose the route for the cable and cut the outer to length. I had already made the bracket by the pedal so all I had to do was make an adapter at the back to hold the cable outer, cut the inner to length, make an adjuster rod for the back and a small brass nipple for the front. I used my old model maker’s lathe for these small parts, they are brass and the little lathe is easier on such small components.

It all went rather well, the brass nipple at one end and the stainless steel adjuster rod at the arse end were silver soldered in to place, they won’t be coming off.

I still have to sort out a different spring for the brake light switch, I will get to that come final assembly time.

The rear is spot on and gives me loads of room for adjustment, the brake feels really good and should be plenty good enough to impress the MoT man.

For the first time in a couple of weeks it’s not on a lift at the moment, I am just about ready to start tearing it down so everything can be cleaned and painted before final assembly. I just have to figure out what I am going to do with the seat and how to fix it to the bike.

While I am at it I will fit what other parts I have and start to look at the electrics box. I have had a change in plan – I was going to mount most of the switches in the box but there simply isn’t room so I will go back to conventional switches instead.

I found the adjuster nut on an old push rod off some ancient Honda thing, think it was a C90 or something. Whatever it was it is ideal for the job, it would have been easy to make one but it’e even easier to scrounge one of the dung pile. The brass bit that goes through the lever was another bit I had to make as I couldn’t find one the right size. It’s a simple turning job from the same bit of bar stock I made the other bits from. Yer can’t beat a freebie.

motorcycle custom rear seat supportI had been looking at the rear end a fair bit – I wasn’t happy that the rear of the seat would be correctly supported so I set to thinking about how to make it better. Originally I came up with the idea of supports coming up from the lower sissy bar mount but when I started too do it I didn’t like the look of it. To make it strong enough would have required some fairly thick material and I like the uncluttered look so the wonderful engineering of that Suzuki rear wheel is unhindered. In the end I decided that two bars projecting forward from the mid mounted cross bar on the sissy was the way to go, a bit of 3mm plate with 2 holes drilled in it will give me somewhere to bolt the seat pan to. It’s strong and fairly light and when the seat is fitted won’t even show. Pity I had already painted it but that’s no big deal.

So that’s it for this time, I have no idea what I am going to do next time but I think I am nearly ready to start the tear down for everything to be cleaned up and painted.

Article provided by David Powell of Boston Bike Bits.

Boston Bike Bits