Honda CBR600

The Despair Shop Part 5 – Get it broken!

Just a quick update on some of the stuff covered in earlier musings from the shop of despair – firstly the ZZR600. I ended up passing that one on through the trade as I didn’t have the V5 and wanted it out of the way so I had room for more incoming basket cases. The SV is still taking up room and making the place look untidy as I need to weld up the exhaust and am waiting for some thinner welding rods before I can progress. Once that is done it can go for an MoT, which it should pass no problem.

The ZZR going left a CBR600FK shaped hole in the workshop, which was very quickly filled by the CBR600FK that I did some stuff on in the last article but one. Sometimes life goes like that. You may remember this particular one was a scruffy old Hector with a fair bit of body damage. I was going to do it up and did indeed start when I remembered that I still have a CBR1000F to finish and the FZR600R Cocktail that I really should get my teeth in to. So I thought what I would do is punt it back on Facebook at a bit more than I had paid for it and let somebody else have the joy. Sadly nobody got even close to the asking price with one particular gentleman kindly offering me less than I paid for it with the promise that he would come immediately and pay me cash!! I kindly told him to piss off and made the decision to strip it.

That would have been the end of it except for a PM I had from the chap that had owned it several years previously. The front mud guard had a rather cool logo on it that was in memory of his mate who had died back in 2015. I offered him a significant discount on it but he wasn’t interested so it was back to plan B and the bike was stripped.

It all came apart very easily – rather too easily in some cases FFS people use a bloody torque wrench – your life might depend on it.

Motorcycle chain linkThe most concerning issue though had nothing to do with nuts and bolts and everything to do with some clumsy sod getting over enthusiastic with a chain riveting tool. In fairness it is easy to overdo it when fitting a split link, the tendency is to think the pins are not splayed out sufficiently and to over do it to the point where the link becomes tight. This little jobbie was something else and something I have never seen before. I don’t think it would have been long before it let go in spectacular fashion. I cut it off so I could preserve the full horror of the situation, hopefully you can see it in the photo, check yours regularly folks.

Another trip down to equatorial Crowland to the north of the Serengeti like plains of Peterborough had me bringing a particularly nasty lump of Yamaha TDM850 home with me. It’s definitely a breaker but I can’t even get the useless lump of pig iron started at the moment. Until I do that I won’t know what’s good and bad therefore what I can and can not sell. I’ll drag it out the van in the net couple of days and have a proper look – or as a Cockney would say I’ll give it a propaganda.

It sort of tries to fire up on easy start but that doesn’t really tell me much. I think it may be prudent to tighten the handle bars before attempting to get it back off the van, they moved when it was being loaded, which caused a moment of undue excitement. I had Scottie helping me but as only Mrs me will be here when I get it off it’s the sort of excitement I don’t feel like repeating.

I got most of the bits to do the SV but still need an exhaust joiner gasket, which I rather stupidly forgot to order, which explains why the postman didn’t bring it! Oh bother. I’ll do the welding on it anyway and then finish it when the gasket arrives. I had picked up a complete exhaust from Scottie but when I got it home I realised it was for a later fuel injected bike and it’s much longer so it was of no use to me, I shall just sell it on.

The little Aprilia RS 125 is now finished but as that is covered in another series of articles right here on classic-motorbikes.net I’ll not bore you by duplicating those trials and tribulations here.

Next job is to get cracking on a  CBR1000F that has a rather rattly cam chain and a misfire of biblical proportions. The cam chain tensioner on these are what your average engineer with a PHD from Clacton university would describe as “soft as shit”. It’s right in the middle of the engine and you can’t get to it without stripping half the bike, removing the cam civer and one of the cams – it’s a cow of a job with no guarantee of success unless a new tensioner can be found. Not really looking forward to it but it’s better than hanging about round the docks hoping to make a living there. Two days I was there and all I got was thirty bob and watering eyes.

So, dear friends, until the next time  Seeya! Dave.

 Article provided by David Powell of Boston Bike Bits.

Boston Bike Bits